Some specific reminders for PRDN researchers:
- Your research project's IRB must be current and all researchers on the IRB must have current Certification to Conduct Research with Human Subjects via CITI modules.
- Any research projects with collaborators at institutions other than Duke must ensure that either 1) each institution has an approved IRB; or 2) an inter-institutional agreement between IRBs has been implemented.
- You may only access data files to work on the project as it was described in the approved IRB protocol and data use request. Any other analysis must be submitted as a new application with all the appropriate paperwork. No work can begin on any new project until all approvals have been secured.
- Each research project must explicitly be permitted by data providers to merge data with any other data sets. Research projects must study specific data, and if researchers want to combine data sets in ways other than the explicitly approved ways, the IRB will have to be amended or a new one submitted.
- You may not permit others to view or use the data until they are added to an existing protocol or a new data use and IRB protocol have been approved.
- If you have questions about data use, ask us. We are available to help figure out how you can proceed, including assisting you with obtaining additional data or permissions.
- Security practices recommended by the University IT Security Office can be reviewed here: security.duke.edu. In general, for Duke data and work, use Duke-owned systems, accounts, and software that are managed by Duke IT staff; use personally-owned devices and accounts for personal data.
- Researchers are responsible for understanding how their analysis work impacts their computational and storage resources, and for reaching out for assistance if their needs exceed their available resources. Researchers who consistently use all of a shared resource and prevent others from working will be asked to fund dedicated resources for their project.
- Some of the relevant policies and documents are (though you may be subject to additional policies and procedures, depending on your roles and affiliations at Duke):
Duke data security policy
Duke data classification standard
Duke confidentiality agreement
PRDN policies (PDF)